In the coming weeks, Indonesian House of Representative (DPR) will pass the long debated Pornography Bill. The detail can be read in:
Bahasa Indonesia: http://www.indonesiamatters.com/2465/pornography-laws/
The most dangerous part of this bill is the definition of the pornography. According to wikipedia, the common definition is the explicit depiction of sexual subject matter with the sole intention of sexually exciting the viewer. So, the keyword is explicit depiction.
However, the definition in the Indonesian bill:
Pornografi adalah materi seksualitas yang dibuat oleh manusia dalam bentuk gambar, sketsa, ilustrasi, foto, tulisan, suara, bunyi, gambar bergerak, animasi, kartun, syair, percakapan, gerak tubuh, atau bentuk pesan komunikasi lain melalui berbagai bentuk media komunikasi dan/atau pertunjukan di muka umum, yang dapat membangkitkan hasrat seksual dan/atau melanggar nilai-nilai kesusilaan dalam masyarakat.
Pornography is a material of sexuality made by humans in the form of pictures, sketch, illustration, photo, writing, noise , moving picture, animation, cartoon, poetry, conversation, body language or another form of communication through many kinds of media and/or public showing of something that will result in a sexual desire and/or breaking acceptable moral norms in the society.
Hence, it is both explicit and implicit. With this, each person could have very different interpretation.
Several negatif impacts expected:
1. Women (but not men) are not allowed to wear swimsuit at the pool, because the body languange or movement may arouse the sexual desire in public area.
2. Women are not allowed to wear traditional Javanese kebaya because it exposes the cleavage that may incite sexual desire. It is also for any other clothing that may show the body curve.
3. Kissing in public, for example in a wedding ceremony is prohibited
4. Gymnastic and swimming are banned sports, especially for women
5. Flirting can be dangerous. You can be put into jail.
6. Artwork such as paintings, sculptures, songs that may arouse any sexual desire have to be eliminated. Imagine, some religious radicals destroy Borobudur because it has a depiction of naked or half naked women.
7. Many Indonesian cultures are threatened to become extinct just because they are considered as porn by the radicals. This could trigger horizontal conflicts among people.
8. Many others, maybe you can add something.
So, the bill that is said to protect women, actually discriminate women. It treat women as the object that may harm the men morality. Also, what is wrong with a sexual desire? As long as it is controlled, sexual desire is a good thing and a gift for us as human. However, I think if the mind is dirty, whatever good things will look dirty anyway.
The main point is the most important cause is the human brain activity. If men brain focusing on sexuality, no matter how much the women cover their body or how strict the law is, they are useless. Indonesian female workers in Saudi Arabia are still often raped by Arabs although they wear burqa that completely cover the body.
We also should be aware that this law may be one of the steps leading Indonesia to the second Taliban society.
I believe with a good education, the people will understand and be more mature to decide whether a certain information or material is good or not. This happens in many developed countries where the morality of the society is better than what it is seen in Indonesia.
Thus, the government should focus on the education rather than supporting this idiotic radical bill. A good education, including sex education, is an ultimate need for the Indonesian society.